Thursday, March 18, 2010

The truth of the matter

Readers, I have promised to tell you what The Gypsy told me on that mysterious evening.

Now that more days have passed, and I am safely and firmly back at home, I can recall those events.

I have told you I will never be mistress of Thornfield.

The Gypsy told me that He was a man of false claims of wealth.  In truth, his fortune is only equal to my own.  As my own fortune is not even worth noting, any reasoning I would have had for becoming wife to Him is now gone. I would have been wife to a man I did not love and mistress of a house that serves as it's own charade - blinding decadence and loveliness shielding the truth of it's being the shell of a near-pauper.

I feel I have wasted my time, in all honesty.  All the weeks of effort I had put into the potential of a match, all gone with the words of a Gypsy.

(When I returned to town, I heard similar rumors from a few others, so it is not just the rambles of an old woman, either. Truly and Honestly, it is true.)

But, I am a woman of many accomplishments.

I shall be alright.

Why, this very evening Mama and Mary and I are to head to Colonel Dent's neighbors summer ball. 

There will be soliders there.

I do so love a solider.

No comments:

Post a Comment