Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Governess and the Ward

Those rumors I spoke of are true. A Governess and a ward do reside at Thornfield. 

I got my first glimpse of them both this evening.

The morning was spent on a riding excursion, during which He never left my side.  We rode together, talked together, and lunched together. He is of great intelligence and admittedly some charm. Still, he is some twenty years my senior, and the idea of putting my youth aside (even to become a rich woman) pulls at my heart a bit.

Where was I?

Oh yes, the Governess and the ward.

The little girl is called Adele, and the Governess is Jane. Plain Jane, she ought to be called, for there is no decoration about her person.  She is plain of face and of dress.  She is my own age, and there is such a difference between us I cannot imagine becoming her acquaintance. Much like Grace Poole, she makes me uneasy. If I become mistress of Thornfield, all three - Adele, Plain Jane, and Gothic Grace - will all find themselves bound far away from the estate before a fortnight has passed.

 (Isn't she so very plain?)

Apparently, the little girl had been excited to meet all of us. "Fine ladies," Mrs. Fairfax said she had called us. For a child, she was charming enough - dressed well and spoke French.

I decided to engage Him in a conversation about governesses in general, and how I do not see any particular need for them. Mama backed me up, speaking of their incompetence and caprice. (She had quite an experience with the Governess hired to attend to Mary and myself when we were children, and has never forgotten it.)

It was then I noticed a slight change in his manner. Though he was never uncivil, he seemed to stiffen a bit as the conversation continued and the other revelers joked about their own Governesses, all the while with Plain Jane sitting there listening.

I felt slightly bad for beginning the talk while she was there, and saw how ill it made Him appear, so quickly I changed the conversation back to more fitting matters - music. He and I would make music together. As we sang, his mood seemed to ease.

When next I looked up, Plain Jane and little Adele were gone.

I do hope I haven't made a bad impression.

Still, she's only a governess.

Though I can't imagine ruling over a household she is any part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment