Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Regarding the first time I met him

The very first time I met him (who shall remain nameless) was about six or seven years ago, when I traveled with my Mama and sister Mary to a Christmas ball and party at his estate.  There were probably fifty people in attendance, and I daresay that of all the ladies, I was the absolute finest-dressed and most charming.

I was all of eighteen years of age.

I remember quite vividly the dress I wore on that occasion. It was white, and I had accented it with an amber scarf and an amber flower which I wore in my hair, which was curled beautifully. (I've always had beautiful hair, among my other lovely features.)

Though he, as the owner of the estate, was the center of the lively gathering, the first note I really took of him was when it came time for me to sing (for I have a lovely voice) and he sat at the piano to accompany me, after which we sang a duet. He played well, and sang well, and seemed a fine man to me, if not particularly attractive and much older than me.

Since that day, the idea of forming a marriage union with this man has been swirling around me.  As I am not a woman of great fortune, it would be beneficial to me to marry this wealthy man. Nothing is set in stone yet, but I remain optimistic that I will become mistress of that estate.  (Though the idea of living in the country much of the year is saddening to me. I do not care much for nature, and do so love the excitement of society.)

I shall see him again soon, and shall try my best to continue to make a good impression.  I want to appear a suitable wife for such an educated gentleman. Is there hope in my heart that I will grow to love him? Not yet. But, I am a strong woman and could deal with much in order to attain a fortune.

On a brighter note, I'm having a new dress constructed for this years social season. Green silk! Divine!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your romantic conquests, Ms. Blanche! I do hope the perils of mother nature don't upset you too deeply -- should you assume estate mistress status, of course!

    ReplyDelete